Tulane University Translational Science Institute (TUTSI)
Church-based Health Intervention to Eliminate Racial Inequalities in Cardiovascular Health
Why Is this study being conducted?
- Louisiana has a high burden of cardiovascular disease, especially in the African American community.
- The overall goal of CHERISH is to implement the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Guideline on the Primary Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease in the African American community to help eliminate cardiovascular health disparities.
- We plan to utilize Community Health workers in African American Churches in New Orleans and Bogalusa to lead health related community programs.
What is Cardiovascular Disease?
- Cardiovascular disease is the leading cause of death in the United States, and it is preventable with changes to lifestyle, stress management, and proper medical treatment.
- Cardiovascular disease refers to a range of different conditions
- Heart Attack
- Heart Failure
- Peripheral Artery Disease
Ways to prevent cardiovascular disease.
- Healthy Diet
- Exercising Regularly
- Regular Health Care
- Reduce Blood Pressure, Glucose, and Cholesterol
- Quitting Smoking
- Increasing Social Support
CHERISH Planning Phase Goals
- Collaborate with church leaders, community members, and healthcare organizations who are interested in decreasing cardiovascular disease in Louisiana’s African American community.
- Learn more about the barriers to making healthier lifestyle choices and accessing health care services.
- Understand what things can be done to overcome these barriers.
- Develop church-based health programs which can improve cardiovascular health in African Americans.
- Build a long-lasting partnership with the community so together we can help make Louisiana a healthier place to live and work.
CHERISH Study Partners
Jiang He, MD, PhD, Primary Investigator
Thomas LaVeist, PhD, Co-Investigator
Keith Ferdinand, MD, FACC, FAHA, FASPC, FNLA, Co-Investigator
Marcia Ory, PhD, Co-Investigator
Jing Chen, MD, MMSc, MSc, Co-Investigator
Lydia Bazzano, MD, PhD, MPH, Co-Investigator
Jeanette Gustat, PhD, MPH, Co-Investigator
Katherine Mills, MSPH, PhD, Co-Investigator
Hua He, PhD, Co-Investigator
Lizheng Shi, PhD, Co-Investigator
Caryn Bell, PhD, Co-Investigator
Jodie Laurent, MPH, Senior Research Coordinator
Marilyn Jefferson Payne, Ed.D, LPC-S, LMFT, Church Recruitment Liaison